Sing along a Sister Act
Following on from the success of Sing along a ... Sound of Music, Grease and Mama Mia it was time for Sister Act. The real highlight is the fancy dress competition, the film just fills up the time. Those that take part really go to town with their costumes. There were those that cheated (Christine and I were just two) who bought a costume from Amazon. Those that made use of black bin bags and plastic aprons plus lots of sticky tape. Then those who had made their own before hand.
The winner was David (front row, first on the left) whose Mum made him the priest outfit worn in the film. I think the glasses really make it!
Steam museum and Shopping
Not sure if the others would call this a highlight especially the Steam Museum but my delegates loved it. Each year we have a day out and we try to have something different each year but I don't think this museum is somewhere we'll return to. In my opinion it was ok. I'm not interested in trains or shopping for that matter. There was one interesting fact I learnt about Swindon train works and that is in the carpentry workshop along with making train carriages they made artificial limbs for employees in case there was an accident. Can you imagine going to the store saying you had lost a right foot but for them to say that they were all out of right feet but would a left foot do? Ok just me who thinks that's funny.
The best part of the day was sitting down in Costa with a Frappachino and a muffin after a busy time shopping at the Cadbury Shop. In fact we took over one half of Costa and the staff were really good and patient with our delegates.
Talent Show
Always a highlight as you never know what you are going to get. New boy David was first up with his Grease Megamix (performing all the parts!). Oh my word this lad is enthusiastic. I can't explain it really. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not Lyndon! There was singing, dancing, clowns and 'The Trumpet Voluntary' on a harmonica! Simon Cowell would mock them all but we just love them.
Football Match
Each year the girls play the boys at football and for the last 5 years or so the girls have retained the cup, this is due to the fact that we haven't been able to play for various reasons for the last 5 years. This year the pitch was clear of rubbish, was not waterlogged and ready for the chaos that is the SAFE football match. To add to the excitement THQ's sport ministry department were filming it for a new video about the 2012 Olympics, interviewing some of the delegates who are involved in sports. Not sure what they were expecting especially when the Ref appeared in her riot gear. As usual the game was controversial. The boys claimed that not all of the girls were girls, that the girls were playing dirty and the ref was biased. They even claimed that the second half was longer than the first which resulted in a 4-4 draw! They even challenged that decision. However I believe it was a fair game, the ref is always right and that the first goal by the girls was amazing! But then I scored that one! Due to the draw the girls retained the cup for another year. Not quite sure how that decision is made. Maybe we should introduce penalties, then again maybe not!
![]() |
| The Ref! |
![]() |
| All girls? |
![]() |
| Final goal - 4-4 |
Disco time
I'm not a dancer and get embarrassed by my dancing however I love this night. Cheesy songs are the order of the evening and if it's an action song then even better. YMCA, Superman and even the Birdie song (dedicated to Lyndon due to a story about a seagull that flew into his car whilst driving) are just a three that made the play list.
My delegates
Kate and Alex are brilliant. Usually no trouble at all (except when they phone me to say they've gone for a walk in the dark, alone) and just make me laugh especially Kate who is always smiling. I enjoy taking care of them and know their routine pretty well after having them for the last 6 years. They can both dance and Kate is a brilliant swimmer and I struggle to keep up with her when we have a race but then she has won medals at the Special Olympics! I know I'll have them again next year but I would love to have an en-suite room just once but you only get one of those if your delegate is a wheel chair user.
Other highlights
I should mention that there is of course the rehearsals which can have fun moments plus the speakers who come each day to chat about their work. Mike and Jenny Clarke led the Sunday worship. Julian Bright did a variety of music and comedy followed by a very moving moment. Adam, Gemma and Hope Bonner also joined us for the day. It was great to share with my friends from church just what we get up to and why we get excited when talking about it. Adam spoke about Livibility, the organisation that he works for and who a number of delegates have used whether it be their holiday centres or colleges. Gemma lead a dance workshop which I missed but heard that she did a great job and the dance they learnt for the talent show was brilliant. Hope was just her cute self, leading a workshop on the joys of being 2.
Also this year we had small groups for the first time. These seemed to go down really well. Groups were made up by ability and gave an opportunity for delegates to share their thoughts as well as learn and ask questions. I do hope we have them again next year.



















No comments:
Post a Comment